The BASIS technology is a web-based application that enables the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to gather and analyze blood collection and usage information from civilian hospitals & blood centers. The information helps DHHS establish policies and procedures for better blood resource management.
In addition to tracking and reporting on blood inventories, the BASIS technology also addresses a number of additional blood resourcing needs:
- Support for emergency response,
- Analysis of blood inventory excess and shortages to facilitate their optimal use,
- Collaboration and communication among the various agents in the blood supply chain,
- Proactive detection of blood supply chain problems before they become critical and notification of the relevant stakeholders, and
- Analytical and reporting tools for blood supply managers to analyze, detect patterns, make correlations, and forecast future blood inventory requirements.